Sunday, 9 August 2020

what is it?

 Oh yes its a train!

However, That was Saturday and earlier in the week, actually way back to Tuesday the painters were getting close to completing the spruce up of carriages for the second restart rake.
a spot of lining out still to do.

In the paintshop work on 1808 is at a more basic level. sorting out the cracked paintwork.

and having removed the damaged door pillar on Wednesday the new one was put in place on Wednesday.

all painted in red oxide.

a slight alignment adjustment! 
Next weeks job return the square hole created when we cut out the rust back to a circle round the water tank boss. Must remember to check that breather pipe hole alignment before we go to far.

With the woodwork machines all service last week the team were back in on Wednesday. The first job for Ed was to rout the corridor end wood for Ken.

Then it was cut some new door liners for the door team.

Rex cutting a section of replacement metal for 1808

while Bryan was cleaning up radiator grills for 34929

When the carriage came in we were aware of a reported roof leak. After Bob removed the fan and its mount from this hole an area of the mount was found that appears never to have been sealed. Steve has now started  rebuilding the water damaged section of the ceiling.

On the exterior the painting team have continued with the clean up of 1808

Steve also cut the wood sections for the vestibule floor support in 17221. Derek is now setting about the final fitting.

A section of pipework from 4772. repaired and ready to be refitted.

The upholstery team are now back on their favourite job of TSO seat seat rebuilding with Chainlink moquette.

Yep another new roll now in position and ready to go. Fortunately we had it in stock before the shutdown ready for this job.

As so the return trip from Cheltenham. Looks so much better the right way round.

Then some more axle box back seal replacements for the dirty gang.

Oh and did I mention there was a train running backwards

and forwards. Not just C&W spectators we were joined by members of the PWay gang.

Tuesday, 4 August 2020

Getting into the swing

As the railway slowly comes back to life various departents are returning to work. C&W being a somewhat diverse collection of skills are returning in stages.

The he upholstery team were back in Wednesday. The first job was to finish of the seat back that was left half completed before the shut down. 

then decide on what to do next. The carriage they were focused on is being pressed into service on the restart trains. So they have switched back to another carriage they were part way through doing a seat upgrade on.

So extract the the set of tired seats

and seat ends

cut out a set of new seat covering sections

Oh and collect the generous donation tucked away down the side of the seats. Another £4.82 to departmental funds.

Sadly not enough to pay for the servicing of the woodwork machines. They has all now had their delayed overhaul.

Also back are some of the engineering squad. 

starting on the must do repairs to 1808. This door frame section needs complete replacement.

along with the roof corners at the south end.

This is the Malvern side before repairs.

Thursday the door team restarted working on Door panels

and assessing where we are up to with door liners and lock mounts.

The painters who have been back for a while working out side are making great progress on tidying up the carriages selected for the restart rakes. Many coming from the third rake have rather tired paintwork. So as many as we can arer having a spruce up.

The 2 Richards have been replacing a faulty charging system and in the process upgrading it to the latest configuration we use.

The not quite so 'Dirty' Gang have started work on the bogies from 4772. having given them a through steam clean last week. 

Socially distanced one on each side.

The new mess room facility. we just need a train service now.

On Saturday the Upholstery team were back and in full swing on the open carriage seats.

Chris was sorted out the final issue with a door on 13337 on the restart rake. 

a major step forward was the refitting of the water tank in the north end of 34929. 

I found and started cleaning up the last 2 radiator covers needed for the new saloon area at ther south end of 34929.

and the patching and tidying continued outside.