Today there were a couple of noticeable step sequences taking place. One sequence could well provide a starting point for a guide to the overhaul of a bogie.
Remove the axle box cover having removed the bolts a small tap maybe required to free the seal. John is somewhat of an expert at this. Yoy tap it just here and
off it comes. Yuk!
It is good clean grease buy you soon realise why they get called the dirty gang. Stamped somewhere on the end of the wheelset shaft is date of manufacture and the serial number. Not the easiest place to put it and of course it was on the under side of the shaft as we had it positioned. Isn't it always!
with the strop in position lift the end of the bogie to free the wheelset.
and out it slides (not). Rather more than a small tap was required to persuade it to slide out. Not a tap a jack actually.
Raise the end of the bogie until the wheelset roles clear where it can more easily be inspected, cleaned and painted.
The next step is to remove the guides for the axlebox clean them and clean behind them where the rust starts to form closing the gap which is why the axleboxes stick in the guides in the first place.
The other sequence relates to the problem facing any organisation communication. This is made far worse in a volunteer organisation where different people share jobs across several days of the week.
Method 1. Steve asked me last week to get the studs put back in thios and the adjacent pillar. The studs secure the toilet wall to the carriage structure. There are 8 to each pillar. I remembered and here is one old one top and 1 new one bottom. I then have to pass the message back careful if you remove the nuts the new studs, Metric, have a different thread to the old ones, Imperial!
Method 2 leave a note. We saw it and Nick oblidged welding in place the corridor connection rain cover mount points.
Method 3 remember where you got to last week, or in this case 3 weeks ago, but remembered at last.
Nick and pam investigate the hole in the roof. Good job we got the long lead welding gun.
One of the 2 holes they filled this afternoon.
Method 4. Just do what you do almost every week. Dave stripping another seat for re-upholstery.
On the other hand John Hill refers back to the notes how many more of the seats have we got to do!!!!!!
One little problem we have run into is that we don't havany seat bases of the correct size. Thanks to John Varley we do now. Around 8 inches added to the width of this seat base taking from TSO to SO sizing.
The doors of the LMS brake van having all been fitted have now been removed again for painting.
Derrick was somewhat surprise to find himself the only member of the door tam in today the rest all being on holiday or was it the knew there door skins are not ready for them yet.