Wednesday, 7 December 2016

Wednesday - Team work

We only just out numbered Tuesday volunteer count, 11, with 14 in today. Conditions in the barn are gradually improving though Dave probably won't thank us for the work we did out there today.

Today was a case of if you do that then I can follow on and do this etc. Thus a great deal of cooperation and team work was again needed to achieve everything we did.

It started while inspecting the Cotswold side of 24949 it was discovered that the skirt line was not attached to the frame over nearly half the length of the carriage. John Hamer set Graham off  with the drilling out old broken rivets while Ken set up the riveter to install new ones. Once the job was done it as back to Graham to finish off with some filler. There is now a long line of these little repairs all the way along the nicely undercoated side of the carriage. OOPs!
 
 John had moved on to restore the window frame removed from 24949. After some assistance from Eddie with adjustments to the new section of window trim John set about ensuring all the screws fitted.

This was interrupted by the arrival of the RRS lorry returning 2 bogies from wheel turning

which diverted John to start stripping the brake rigging These need a strengthening brace bar added after the rigging has been straightened.
 
While all that was going on Nick was soldering the plates on the top of the water tank. We have moved the filler and breather pipes to meet the needs of the FO. This tank originally being from a TSO the various connections are all in different places.
 
It was then taken outside for testing. 45 minutes to fill it to the brim and then check for leaks.

While it was filling it freed Nick to weld some nuts in place on 3132 to make them captive. That enabled Graham to check the fit of the handle before removing it again for painting.

Nick then moved on to repair the brake riggers after Ken and John had straightened them.
 
Keeping well out of the way of the others John Varley repaired the Gas bottle holder door for the RBr

 and fitted it. Nice job. It just needs a thorough clean and some paint now.

 Paul spent the day working on door 1 from 3132. First inserting the wood block that the door panels will be attached too. We have found that gluing and sticking is the best approach for this, the modern adhesives are very effective. The original method was steel screws into an aluminium frame not a good combination and after many year one that guarantees the screws will not undo.

Derrick was working on door 4 from 4614 reconnecting the frame with the skin after that had been repaired last week.

While Craig and I swapped and shifted a number of door round the workshop using our newly arrived trolleys. The trolleys have worked brilliantly so thanks to Ian Stroud who sourced them for us.

Eddie has started the process of restoring the tables for 3132. Here cutting the first section of the new Formica

Colin, having show his talents with the goods van doors, is now engaged on making a gate for the station.

Jenny deep in concentration making yards of piping for the seats

while John sets about rebuilding another seat using that big needle again!
 
Perhaps this may seem like a rather confused report but I have tried to get across how some jobs although seemingly small draw on the skills of several people working together and round each other. It very much shows the team work that goes on most days in C&W.
 
Overall we fixed and tested the water tank ready for fitting Saturday.
We repaired and strengthened 4 brake riggers
carried out repairs to 3 carriage doors
secured the skirt line of 24949
along with numerous other jobs some of which I have noted above
and now I realise I missed any pictures of Des, Trevor and Rod staining and varnishing over half of the internal panelling in 3132 and all the sections that were lined up on the benches!

1 comment:

St Blazey 1925 said...

Much work done in C&W today it seems. All Elves employed! When I worked for BR as a Guard, I had constant problems keeping unthinking passengers feet off the opposite seats; reminding them that the detritus from their foot ware (especially in bad weather) not only deteriorated the seat fabric but could transfer to other passengers clothing! The problem persists to this day, many years after I left BR. So I sympathise with the high workload that is done to repair seating on GWsR. Regards, Paul.