Wednesday, 23 November 2016

Wednesday - The mystery

Sometimes you come across things that don't make sense and sometimes things that make you wonder how they work.

First the mystery which I noticed a week or so ago but crept up on me again today. When sanding various sections of wood trim and sorting them I noticed this stamped into numerous section of trim from 4614.
The carriage number 3746 appears on much of the wood trim being removed. Now these are parts that you would not normally remove during any restoration. We have removed many of them because of the conversion. So what's going on?

Then there is this section of pipework from under another carriage. How it kept working as long as it did is definitely a mystery and how it worked exactly a puzzle. In case your still wondering what it is. its actually laying on its side the top is to the right

No help?

Well its the steam distribution and drain boss from under the centre of the carriage. We only have 2 carriages with this arrangement for the steam heating. As you can clearly see it doesn't hold steam any more!!!

So today Nick set about making a new one from various parts we have in stock and some scraps that were around the workshop. here is the new one in the correct vertical position with the remains of the old one at the bottom of the picture. Its a Christmas tree arrangement with an inlet from the top with 4 branches set at an angle, not horizontal, as outlets and the bottom outlet is a drip valve to remove condensed steam.   (I'll try and get a clearer picture tomorrow)

Graham gave him some assistance preparing some of the sections ready for welding

FO 3132 This is the main focus of our efforts at the moment and is a full restore. Steve Smith is making some replacement light unit for the strip lights using LED's.  Just 2 short one left to do!


Phil is here repairing one of the diffusers. He is cleaning up and repairing various diffusers to make a full set for the carriage which it didn't have when it arrived. With the diffusers in place you really don't notice the lights are not strip lights anymore.

We are getting round to the last bits of door furniture fitting with Paul checking and installing the lock plates

Mike fixing a missing door bumper and Craig repairing door lintel. We still have to fix door 1 though. some more progress was made on that today but there still work to do!

Tony was in today to meet up with Eddie for introductions to the woodwork machinery. he went on to prepare a series of vertical window trim pieces, note the curve to match the carriage side curve, ready for fitting on Thursday

There are an amazing number of trim sections when you get down too it. Here Davey and Des work their way through a batch of them with a second coat of varnish

Alan having sanded and rubbed down one of the sliding compartment doors

passed it on to Rod and Davey for staining and re-varnishing. (No there isn't any glass, and yes they did resist the temptation to paint each others faces through the hole)

Also getting the staining attention was this set of panels for the interior.
Underneath, the battery boxes. Dave Ward making a new one for the carriage.

In the barn during the day John Hamer, with assistance from Phil switch a bogey wheelset and shunted another pair ready to be despatched to Bristol for turning in the morning. This wheelset is being marked 'not for use' at the current time why when you hear the bearing rotate you know instantly! It will be fine for running round the yard or under a static carriage.


A quick check on the replacement doors for the DMU and yes they are the correct profile straight at the top have and a deep curve to the bottom, as against a mk1 door which has a constant curve.

In the upholstery shop John Hill was cleaning off another seat base for our rolling program of replacement seat bases for 27543. All that left is pretty well a heap of dust from some of them.

We took the first pair of replacements across to the carriage today and brought back this the next pair to be done. One compartment down 7 to go!

The preparation sanding fro 24949's quick repaint continued with Trevor working on the Malvern side.

While des started on the cream undercoat round the window frames on the Cotswold side.

Having been creative all morning Nick finished his day with a little destruction. Here removing another section of the side of 4614. The next step in the process of converting the carriage to disabled access.

I missed the shot of John Varley repairing the gas bottle carriers for one of the RBr's and Door 4 for 4614.

All in all a busy day


No comments: