Report by Dave Clark
We had 24 in on what turned out to be quite an amazing day. There were so many things going on and achieved, if I had been able to capture everything it would have been very easy to write a double-length blog. Apologies to anyone I have missed out.
Starting the report off quietly, Michael varnished the surround on the final table for SK 25451.
Being Thursday the Indoor Gang were back and soon busy helping Steve with the compartment doors for 25451. Alan and Roger carefully manoeuvre one of the heavy doors along the corridor.
Steve attaches another door. Later on the very heavy sliding door was put back at the south corridor end.
A considerable amount of window cleaning, both internally and externally, was completed by Robin (pictured here), Jeff, Andy and Bob.
Now lying down on the job is one thing, but trying to sort out the best way to tackle it is another! Pete and Ron sorting out the location for the toilet vent pipes.
Later on they were rebuilding the sinks ready for installation. It was great to see Ron (on the right) back with us, who amongst many things he can do, is a first rate plumber.
Back to the Indoor Gang with Pat (and Roger in the next compartment) putting up more of the luggage racks - those bolts go right through the compartment wall to hold the racks on either side and can be a right fiddle to say the least!
Later on in the day Richard was reinstating brass edging plates in the doorways.
And now for the big job of the day. Getting that leaking water tank out! Being part of the group of six or so involved I couldn't take a photo of the actual removal. However we did it, getting gently showered in bits of rust.
Andy and I set to and wired brushed as much of the flaking rust as possible, before yet another sweeping and vacuum cleaning session. Andy then gave all the metalwork a coating of red oxide.
With the tank removed to the Barn, Ken refilled it and identified the leak points. There were three - around the tank breather pipe, and in the top seam on each side (the arrow/scraper and hammer head mark the positions).
The best sight of the day and the photo says it all. Now we just have to get it back!
With all the rusty screws and rotten seal removed, Richard cleans up the filler pipe top ring from the roof.
Our Maintenance Gang were in as it was Thursday. Richard Bates, watched by Ted Ellis, was creating a box cover (sorry Richard I have forgotten what you said this was for).
In his element, Alex carefully repaints the south end instrument panel in the Buggy. The north end was also completed.
With the green top coat completed, Ainsley carefully re-taped around the front panels and was able to do both undercoating and top coating, with the paint drying very quickly.
The Buggy is really beginning to look good now. Ainsley and I spent more time cleaning up the underframe with warm soapy water ready for painting.
Andy ended his day rubbing down some fibre filler that was used to seal some minor cracks in the corridor end U section at the south end of FO 3132.
Once again giving a helping hand to other Departments, John Varley repaired a twisted section of rodding for S&T.