Saturday, 9 January 2016

Saturday - There's a hole in my ....

Today it was possible to complete the opening line of the song with most of the things we were doing though carriage was probably the most likely object to choose. The only thing we didn't have was a bucket. Mind you we did throw out a dust pan with a hole in it!

With BSO 9000 now in the paintshop the main task is to get all the preparation completed before a tidy and then painting.

The main hole that need filling are the bottom corner of the south end Malvern side. While Alex was filling and smoothing the corner just above the hole we are actually waiting for the area to dry out properly before we fill the hole.






The other area for holes, which Dave was working on, was the rivet line. The 'holes here tend to have been made by ourselves cleaning out the joint while checking for loose rivets.

The other area which gets checked thoroughly, here by Alex, is the bottom window corners.

9000 was the first carriage worked on by John Osborn when he joined and it looks like he did a good job.





He was back into day for the first in a while released from cooking duties after his wife, now almost recovered, broke her arm.

He was doing the typical repair to a rusted window corner.
The rusted metal cut away but Andy last week and the new piece prepared by John Squires welded in place and trimmed by John Osborn. Team work.

This window hole is on 25451. I spent much of the day working on the window frame that's to go back in.







Andy continues making holes at the northern end of the carriage.

That's an awful lot of corner to be remade.










Like this other side corner James will do it section by section. At the end of the day the patch was right to the bottom. He just needs to join the dots!






At the other end of the carriage we reminded our selves why we don't like looking behind bulging capping strips. Its never good news.

Having looked behind and found very little metal remaining












you would think we would learn.

No.

Richard then set about the capping strip on the other side


 
 
 
 
It was actually worse and soon resulted in the removal of the internal panelling to enable the repairs to come.
 
This carriage was 'a quick job' when it came in.
 
Who said that?










Completing the round up 25451 George made some major progress with filling holes on the paintwork on the Malvern side.





Seats.

Seats have featured large In the blog for a while and the trend continues as Stuart delivered the last of the single first class seats from the DMU for repair














while Dave









 Jenny












and John Hill kept the production line going.


One issue we have had for a while is a set of seats completed but the carriage they were for nowhere near ready.

Richard decided go use them in another carriage.

So first you have to extract them from storage.

In this case a wagon 2 roads over at the back of the yard.

Navigate round the puddles in the yard, of which there are many and it was raining.




Heave them into the carriage.

They are very heavy especially the seat backs.












Once in the carriage remove the worn seats

















squeeze the old seat out
and the new one in.

As can be seen the seat is actually very slightly larger that the hole it has to go through into the compartment. You have to squeeze it through.

Apparently at the BR works they used to take the windows out it was easier.










Job done the new seat in place.

The wrinkles are a result of the storage but should disappear as the cushion settles into place.















Then its take the truck up to Toddington to retrieve the rest of the seats from the set.

Seemingly some of them were stored in another carriage that ended up for the winter at Toddington due to the P'Way track work at Winchcombe.


Two and half of the 4 compartment were completed.

Well done to Richard Johnson, Andy, Bob and Ian


During the closed season we trying to work through the maintenance teams repair list.

This item was hole in the steam pipe of 4772.

With the body up on the jacks John Squires and Kevin removed a section of the pipe.







Heat was needed to free up the joint.














This valve and flange was attached to the end of the pipe. 'WAS' being the appropriate word it virtually fell off when tapped with a small screwdriver.











While that was going on John Hamer and Ken shifted the bogie out and paired it, after some shunting by Phil, with another ready to be collected and taken away for wheel turning.

The flat spot clearly visible.











Ever mindful of our workshop safety Dennis was checking out the ladders and affixing the safety tags.









Another item from the Maintenance list was a bouncy floor in one of the carriages after some investigation by Steve it wasn't bouncy any more. In fact it wasn't a floor. Steve is now in the process of replacing it.
No pictures, well I didn't want to fall down the hole.

So here is Steve earlier in the day finishing the repair to the corridor end door on 9000. Another item off the list.

No comments: