Saturday 24 November 2012 Report by Dave Clark. Thanks Dave
After all the heavy rain on Thursday evening and on into Friday, it was a relief to find that there had been no further flooding and be greeted by a dry Workshop floor. Following our usual early cuppa in the RBr, we got stuck into our busy day.
Cheryl continuing the sanding down of compartment doors.
With most of the veneer panelling in the corridor and vestibules found to have been previously coated in layers of coloured varnish, and thus not easy to remove completely without damaging the veneer, the decision has now been made to use a gloss wood stain (deep Mahogany) in place of our normal Colron wood stain and clear varnish.
This will include the doors.
On the Workshop side/Barn end corner, the large dent, about 10 inches long and over half an inch deep (not caused by us!), had been partially hammered out on Thursday.
Ken completed the job, and this can now be filled.
Ken then began working on the internal wooden support from behind the corner, to replace the broken pieces onto which the veneer panelling is attached.
Later in the day, Ken and I removed the door to enable John Osborn to replace the corroded lower sections of z bar and panel on the left hand side of the door frame.
The long section of top hat bar enables Ben to keep a very straight line as he uses the plasma cutter to produce another section of sheet metal for the Barn end of the CK.
John Osborn, having welded in the new section, cleans up the weld with the angle grinder.
The first of the two wooden base supports for the corridor connection is put on to check for correct fit. As it turns out, this one will need a small piece taken off at the base.
At the park end of the coach, John Squires begins refitting the heavy external filler pipe.
Martin carries on the with filling/sanding and greying-up process on the wallside. He was later joined by Bob Mac, who sanded off the remaining parts at the Barn end where the old paint still existed.
Earlier in the week, John Hamer had been along checking all the window frames, re-riveting where required, and he has now given the "all clear" for the windows and panelling on this side of the coach. This means the painting prep can start in earnest.
Later in the day Bob Mac and I did more panel preparation on the workshop side of the coach.
Happy and contented, our Saturday group enjoying the mid-morning break in the old RBr.
Eddie Paddon, in his peaked cap, is also present. Although he normally works Wednesdays, he frequently pops in on a Saturday to liaise about progress on the woodworking front and discuss next steps, which in turn often means that we can prepare things on Saturdays to be ready for the Wednesday group.
Looking out of the end window of the RBr we can see our old Mess Room, now surrounded by scaffolding ready for the piece-by-piece demolition. In the foreground are the 03 shunter and the newly refurbished Kohler Mira wagon.
Somebody has to do the washing up! Paul is nearly always the star when it comes to making the tea and clearing up on Thursdays and Saturdays.
He also looks after all the essential supplies, as well as bringing in cakes, which occasionally includes the wonderful lemon drizzle cake made by his wife Helen.
No wonder we all have happy smiling faces in the mess room.
John Hill surveys the heavy metal seat frame for one of the second class seats from the CK. The frame was subsequently taken into the workshop to enable a small weld to be done by John Osborn.
John Squires, again, this time continuing the fitting of a new sections of steam heat pipework underneath the north end.
Besides the lengthy section being placed in position, the various pieces and connections can be seen on the bogie frame.
Steve prepares the final section of ceiling for the new vestibule.
The back of both this and the other two central sections of ceiling were then coated in PVA solution by Bob Keyte. Bob later painted the main sides with wood primer, and then white undercoat. The curved sections, already fitted in the new vestibule, will be (very) carefully primed and painted in situ.
Externally, the coach body is essentially finished. All the windows have been scraped clear of any paint and any minor touching up just about finished. Richard applies "Disabled" transfers to the entrance doors of the new vestibule. He also attached signs and stickers to the internal wall of the new wheelchair area.
Vacuum brake testing
We took the opportunity to test the vacuum cylinders and brakes on the china clay wagon in the Barn, conflat wagon in the Workshop, and the CK. With the 04 shunter fired up, Phil initially removed the other conflat out of the Barn, and then moved back in to begin the three tests. Unfortunately the china clay wagon failed the test, so some investigation will be needed before this can be released.
However the conflat in the Workshop worked satisfactorily despite the fact that it hadn't yet been overhauled. I believe the CK was also successful, but I was suddenly called away so Richard, Ken or Phil, please correct this if I am wrong.