Saturday, 24 March 2012

Saturday 24th March

After a glorious sunny drive to Winchcombe, I arrived to the last of the mist

and it is mist not smoke from the loco's.

Despite a group of C & W volunteers taking the day off to go and ride on a steam train, there were still 17 signed in to keep things moving forward.

I started the day by painting the centre door pillar well it made the carriage look so much better without the grey filler patch half way along the side.

Chris arrived and produced an interesting bulb from him jacket. He says it fell on his head (which didn't looked damaged) but the bulb was cracked so it might be true! It is a possible substitute for those fitted to the carriages. One of the down sides of the governments ban on the old style bulbs is that all the railway carriage bulbs will eventually have to be replaced. While we have a supply of replacements available at the moment we are keeping our eyes open for a replacement bulb type. With Greet Tunnel on our line we have to have the lights on regularly. Here the bulb is under test in a dark corner of the RBr.

Chris then set about cutting and shaping the wooden pillar insert for one of the west end doors openings. There are a mass of tabs on the steel frame that all have to be channelled into the wood. It's a painstaking job and he spent most of the day on it.

John Osborn and Ben Carroll cut the west end side panel.

John then welded it into place. After some tidying up Ben painted the inside of the panel while I applied an little chemical metal and then a coat of protective red oxide.

On CK 7221 Clive and his daughter Charlotte (rightly keeping the dust out with a mask) carried out a deep sweep while Derek continued with removal and replacement of the floor.

Also for CK 7221 John Hill completed the seats for the second 2nd Class compartment.
While John Hamer created a locking bar to hold things in place on the RBr and spent some time checking out batteries on the running rack.

Steve Banfield refitted the window trims in the east end of SO 4790.

In the sunshine Grenville and Nikki continued with the paint stripping of the exterior of the Monster Van.

Later in the day they were joined by Bob Keyte who had already applied another coat of varnish to the seat ends in SO 4790 and Tony Barnard who just finished an 8 hour shift at work but called in on the way home. Now that is dedication.

As a result the Monster van is almost ready for an undercoat next week.

Richard was floating form job to job discussing and resolving issues. With Bob Mac they also put a new but only temporary roof on the Monster Van to keep water proof until we can get it into the barn for a more permanent job.

Eddie Paddon came in with Rhia and among other things requested a small adjustment to the base plate of one of the door pillars. This I duly dealt with although it wasn't possible to remove all the metal. However, Chris agreed that enough had been taken out to facilitate the door pillar positioning.

We had a very lucky day in C&W. First a visitor turned up with a load of clothes and the offer of a quantity of hard wood. We need to organise an collection of the wood. Then another person walked up the yard and presented Derek with a new 12" digital vernier.

Derek gratefully accepted the offer. So if you happen to be either of these kind donors a huge thank you from C&W.

Derek was again busy carrying out a series of checks on the running sets. Here he it checking the emergency cord system on the Maroon rake.

finally the completed metal work for the second corner and side panel in red oxide. It will need some filling and sanding but the progress is clear.

No comments: