As both I and Dave were involved in meetings for most of the day we left everybody else to get on with it and we didn't take any pictures either. So you may have to guess at what was done on Saturday by spotting great leaps forward in progress and the positioning of things in the workshops.
and so to Tuesday.
With 15 names signed in, now a typical number for the attendance on a Tuesday (even with 3 away), we made some good progress as well a wonderful blooper!
Beginning with the second GWR trolley which is now well underway. With dowels being inserted, Derek was soon gluing the base frame together.
Into the Barn with Bob Mac stripping off loose roof paint and clearing out the gutters on TSO 4867. Full gutters mean rainwater pouring down the sides, so we need to keep them clear as far as possible.
(did you spot something from Saturday? - yes this carriage got shunted into the work)
The Malvern side centre door was a trial to open, but liberal use of WD 40 was enough to free it. Obviously this will be attended to properly when the coach eventually comes in for its full restoration.
I missed Richard Stone and
Dennis working on the LNWR van, but the roof is now completely stripped of the
old planking (now neatly laid out in the skip). Some of the beams are not
securely clamped at the sides and it is likely that this caused loose fixings
which penetrated the canvas, which in turn helped to cause the leakage problem.
Great to have the trestles back for all the odds and ends for painting and varnishing. John gives a second top coat to some sliders from BSK 34929.
TSO 4986 further progresses with Ainsley undercoating more of the Malvern side.
While Pat completes the black glossing of the north end of the coach. Once the capping strip is on we will tape up that end of the coach ready for the cream and brown undercoat on the green primed corner section.
Second top coating on BCK 21092 with Cheryl, Stu and Richard Hoy painting well. While the Paintshop was nice and cosy, it was very cold outside with a biting wind, hence the woolly hat on Cheryl.
At the north end Richard Fairhurst was repairing the bottom of the corridor connection sliding door. The door will now have a good sand down and coat of undercoat cream.
It was a very different story at the south end with the sliding door sticking badly. Dennis lifted off the door and then removed the metal strip for cleaning up. The boarding underneath was also improved.
Various other tweeks were made and the result was a nicely sliding door. This will also need a repaint.
The corridor ceiling was half top coated by John. When completed all the ceilings will have painted.
Guards doors are always a pain when painting because they open inwards, and it's easy to see why this happened. Both the line taping and painting were no doubt done from the inside with the door open so it wasn't obvious that the line position was out. Give it a few days to harden and we will gently sand out the incorrect area, apply new tape in the correct position, and then repaint.
Report by Dave Clark