Friday, 25 May 2018

Thursday - all change


With another shunt today it was a time for other things to get done while the main road through the works were out of bounds. Well sort of out of bounds. While the vehicles are out of the works its always time for a clean up. Today it went far wider with some reorganisation of the works done as well.


As the jack road was not involved to start with the warflat pivots were checked and both had new oil in the cup that had flowed, well seeped through the oiling duct over night as it is supposed to do.



Nike was focused on rebuilding the brake indicator rod which, to free it, had been cut into 7 parts! Placed on and clamped into a piece of angle iron the rod was held straight while welding took place. At the bottom of the picture the red pointer is the actual indicator it rotates (or should and now will) when the brakes are wound on or off.

 

 In one piece again it had to be ground back to a nice circular rod shape for feeding back through all the bearing points across the underside of the warflat.


 In the mean time John and Ian lowered the flat bed back onto the bogies then set about rerassembling the rest of the brake gear. Some very chunky steel work. Don't be misled by the brightness of this picture it really is underneath wagon as I was assisting with the final connections a three person job as it transpired. It could have been a two person job if we had known at the start of the job what we learnt while we were doing it. What did we learn - Start at the other end!

 
 
The main exercise of this shunt was to extract the China Clay Wagon
 

and the LMS Brake van for possible use as a minor bit of shunting at Winchcombe during the Gala. However, that will depend on a satisfactory fitness to run examination. Straight out of the works there are always likely to be some adjustments needed.


I missed it the other day but the upholstery team have finished and fitted the seats in the guards van. I am sure they were never this comfortable originally.



In their place the Fruit C van was shunted into the paintshop for attention to the leaking roof. Although looking at the state of a couple of the doors they will need some work/replacing but we only have about 10 weeks before its needed back in service.

Its come into the paintshop rather than the workshop because of the need for space to reconnect the corridor connections to the end of 4986.



with everything back in place work could resume on the DMU Phil continued with the roof painting while Martin worked on sealing the gutters and here Ken returned to rebuilding the top corner. Bryan and Jerry inside progressed the re-installation of the window frame and worked out how it was originally fitted. Much of this work on the DMU is new to us so its slowly slowly to ensure we understand each step before we leap in.



 On the other side more destruction as another section of the skin is deemed worthy of replacement.



There was a good deal of the sanding and filling going on and some interior painting that I didn't get round too.


Bob was sanding doors


 and the odd running repairs



Pete Holt servicing the flush mechanism for the toilets in 4986.


towards the end of the day a visiting group from the Swanage Railway dropped in. By co-incidence at the end of June I'm going down their way to give a talk about the GWsR. I'm sure I will manage to fit a trip on the line while I'm there.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Brake van and China clay wagon look like brand new - lovely pieces of workmanship.

St Blazey 1925 said...

I too applaud the finishes on the China clay wagon and brake van. I remember China clay wagons such as these at speed through Stourbridge Junction, (we called the trains the 'cups and saucers), although they never looked this clean - usually a dusty china clay colour!
And I have regularly worked (as guard), the ex LMS brake vans, (which for some reason unknown to me we called Queen Marys). They were NOT as comfortable as yours. Usually dingy and dirty. Had to use your lamp inside in broad daylight! The desk was only usually fit for topping up the paraffin in the side and tail lamps on as it was normally filthy. but the ducket seats were most useful - mainly to stop being tipped from one end of the van to the other with a heavy hitter of a driver on the sharp end!
Regards, Paul.

Alex said...

Oi, I haven't finished my signwriting on that china clay wagon yet!
Still some to go on the doors which weren't there last time I was in.

Paul; interesting about the Queen Mary nickname, I thought that was only for the big Southern Railway bogie brake vans (one of which we also have an example of).

Alex